Success rate and life expectancy of a liver transplant
With progress in medicine, the life expectancy of patients undergoing liver transplants is also progressing. In comparison to the last decade, the life expectancy of patients has improved.
- Increased lifespan of 1 year: 88-90%
- Increased lifespan of 3 years: 78%
Choosing the ideal liver transplant center
It is essential to learn about different transplant hospitals and centers before finalizing the one. Here are few things to keep in mind while choosing a transplant hospital/center:
- Consult more than one doctor and talk to patients who have undergone liver transplants in the hospital and know about their experience.
- Whether the center/hospital has expertise in living or deceased donor transplants.
- The reputation of hospital/center and it’s mortality rate for liver transplant patients.
- If the hospital/center is covered under your insurance policy.
- Total-experience the hospital/center hold in dealing with liver transplant cases.
Cost analysis of liver transplant
Living with a disease that badly affects your life is an extremely painful experience both for the patient and his family. Getting a liver transplant can certainly improve the quality of life of the patient. The average cost of liver transplants in India varies between 20 lakh approximately. It is important to check with the insurance company whether the transplant cost is covered in your plan. Various factors that will affect the cost are:
- Hospital infrastructure and location
- Length of stay in hospital
- Expertise of surgeons, their team, and use of advanced technology
- Any health complications
- Recovery and rehabilitation
- Post-transplant medications
A patient who travels away from home to hospitals for transplant also needs to keep the cost of stay near the hospital in the new city. The cost of staying also adds up over the course of a few months.
Do You Have Any Query
Please fill out the form & our representative will contact you within 24hrs.