Bone Marrow Transplant in Mumbai, India
A bone marrow transplant is a method that suffuses healthy blood-forming stem cells into your body to replace your damaged or unhealthy bone marrow. A bone marrow transplant is likewise called a stem cell transplant. You may require a bone marrow transplant in Mumbai if your bone marrow quits working and doesn't deliver enough healthy blood cells.
- doctor may use cells for bone marrow transplants from your own body (autologous transplant) or a donor (allogeneic transplant).
Types of a Bone Marrow transplant
There are three types of bone marrow transplants in India:
- Autologous bone marrow transplant- The term auto implies self. Stem cells are separated from you before you get high-dose chemotherapy or radiation treatment. The stem cells are kept in a freezer. After high-dose chemotherapy or radiation therapies, your stem cells are inserted back in your body to make healthy blood cells. This is known as a rescue transplant.
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant -The term allo imply others. Stem cells are taken out from another individual, called a donor. Many times, the donor's genes must at least partially match your genes. Special tests are performed to determine if a donor is a suitable match for you. A brother or sister is most likely to be a proper match. Sometimes parents, children, and other relatives are perfect matches. Through national bone marrow registries, some donors who are not related to youmay be discovered to get a match.
- Umbilical cord blood transplant -This is a form of allogeneic transplants. Stem cells are separated from a new born baby's umbilical cord right after birth. The stem cells are frozen and saved until they are required for a transplant. There is less of a need for a perfect matching in Umbilical cord blood cells because they are very immature. Due to the lesser number of stem cells, blood counts may take much longer to bounce back.
If you need a bone marrow transplant in India, consult the best hematologists and oncologists with years of specialized experience.
Why do you need a Bone Transplant?
A bone marrow transplant in Mumbai may be used to:
- Safely provide treatment for your condition with substantial doses of chemotherapy or radiation by changing or restoring the bone marrow impaired by treatment
- Replace infected or damaged marrow with healthy stem cells
- Provide healthy stem cells that can aid in killing cancer cells directly
Bone marrow transplants in India can prove advantageous to many people with a variety of both cancerous (malignant) and noncancerous (benign) diseases, including:
- Acute leukemia
- Aplastic anemia
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Chronic leukemia
- Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Immune deficiencies
- Inborn errors of metabolism
- Multiple myeloma
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Plasma cell disorders
- POEMS syndrome
- Primary amyloidosis
How do you prepare for Bone Marrow Transplant?
Pre-transplant tests and procedures
The specialist will check your general health and the status of your condition through a sequence of tests and procedures. It is to establish that you are physically prepared for the transplant. The opinion may take several days or more. Moreover, a surgeon or radiologist will embed a long narrow tube (intravenous catheter) into a large vein in your chest or neck for the rest of the span of your treatment. The transplanted stem cells, medications, and blood products into your body will be suffused through the central line.
Collecting stem cells for autologous transplant
If a transplant using your own stem cells (autologous transplant) is proposed, you'll go through a procedure called apheresis to secure blood stem cells. During apheresis, blood is drawn from a vein and circulated through equipment. The system separates your blood into various parts, involving stem cells. These stem cells are saved and frozen for subsequent use in the transplant. The leftover blood is returned to your body.
Collecting stem cells for allogeneic transplant
If you're going through a bone marrow transplant in Mumbai using stem cells from a donor (allogeneic transplant), you will require a donor. Once a donor is identified, stem cells are collected from that individual for the transplant. Another form of allogeneic transplant uses stem cells from the blood of umbilical cords (cord blood transplant).
The conditioning process
You will start a process known as conditioning after you complete your pre transplant tests and procedures. During conditioning, you'll go through chemotherapy and possibly radiation to:
- Eradicate cancer cells if you are being cared for a malignancy
- Suppress your immune system
- Prepare your bone marrow for the healthy stem cells
The type of conditioning process you obtain depends on various factors, such as your illness, comprehensive health, and the type of transplant planned.
For the treatment of bone marrow transplant in India, visit the best hospital to receive exceptional care.
What you can expect
During your bone marrow transplant
After you finish the conditioning process, your bone marrow transplant will begin. Stem cells are absorbed into your body through your central line. Usually, the transplant will be painless.
After your bone marrow transplant
The new, healthy stem cells will travel through your blood to your bone marrow and magnify to make new healthy cells. It will take several weeks before the volume of blood cells in your body starts to come back to normal. The doctors will monitor your condition for infections or other complications.
After a bone marrow transplant in India, you will have to be in touch with your doctor for a follow-up constantly.