Almost every couple in India wishes to have a child and being diagnosed as infertile puts a lot of psychological and emotional strain on not only the couple in question but everyone in their family. Infertility has now cast a shadow on over 20% of the population who want to start their family planning. For all those who have tried and failed to conceive, IVF( in-vitro fertilization) is a blessing in disguise. In vitro fertilization literally means "fertilization in a glass." The term "test-tube baby" was coined as a result of this. IVF allows doctors to fertilize an egg under lab conditions and then implant the embryo in a woman's uterus, increasing the likelihood of a healthy pregnancy. Wish to know more about it? In this blog we are going to discuss the IVF procedure, when should you opt for this, and many more with our fertility specialist from one of the best IVF centers in Mumbai. So, keep scrolling!
When should you opt for IVF treatment?
If fertility medicines, other available treatment choices advised by your gynecologists, artificial insemination, and other surgical procedures have all failed, then only this should be considered as a treatment option for you.
What are the health conditions where IVF is advised as a treatment option?
As recommended by a fertility specialist from one of the best IVF treatment hospitals in India, the following are the reproductive health issues that require an IVF treatment for having a baby.
- Problems with the Fallopian tube like a clogged tube
- if the female partner is suffering from some hormonal imbalance or ovulation difficulty
- if the male partner's sperm count is insufficient or low to be fertile.
- Antibodies produced by the host body(male or female) have the ability to harm sperm or eggs.
- If the sperm is unable to penetrate the mucosa of the cervical canal
- Any genetic ailment
- If the quality of the eggs is insufficient for fertilization.
Understanding the procedure- IVF(in-vitro fertilization) treatment
- The female partner will be put on hormone injection therapy at first, which will enable them to produce many eggs per month rather than just one. Your fertility specialist will decide on egg retrieval after evaluating the results of your test.
- You'll also be on medications to aid in the ripening of the eggs, which signals the onset of ovulation.
- The eggs will be taken just before they are about to emerge from the mature follicles of the ovaries.
- If the egg retrieval is performed too soon or too late, the resulting embryo will not develop normally. Your fertility specialist will also recommend various tests to ensure that the eggs are at the proper stage of development.
- After the egg retrieval, the male partner's or donor's sperm are fused with the eggs in the lab.
- Your doctor will transfer mature embryos into the lining of your uterus using a thin catheter-like flexible tube inserted via your vagina or cervix.
- To improve your chances of becoming pregnant. Your IVF specialist may advise you to implant at least three embryos at once. However, implanting more than three embryos is not advised because it may put your health and that of your baby in danger.
How long do you have to stay admitted to the hospital after surgery?
The patient can go home the same day after the in vitro fertilization surgery and will be discharged four to six hours later.
How long will it take to complete such a procedure?
The embryo implantation surgery will take 30 minutes to an hour.
You will be under mild sedation or general anesthesia during this in vitro fertilization procedure so that you do not experience any pain during the implantation.
What are the factors affecting the success rate of IVF?
This could be due to a number of factors.
- Age of the women(you) undergoing IVF treatment.
- Whether you're using your own egg or one that's been given,
- Whether fresh or frozen eggs are used or not
- From where you are getting your treatment, the lab conditions are favorable or not
- The cause of infertility in you or in your partner.
- In your uterus, how many eggs are being transplanted for IVF
FAQ- all your concerns addressed
- How will I know if the implantation went well?
14 days following the implantation surgery, your doctor will advise you to take a pregnancy test.
- What are the chances of in vitro fertilization resulting in successful implantation?
If you are under 35 years old, you can expect 15 cases of successful implantation, and if you are above 35 years old, your chances will be much lower.
- I have PCOS, should I be worried about IVF outcome?
Women with PCOS are more likely to be exposed to male hormones rather than female hormones. They may have irregular periods, which can interfere with ovulation and make it difficult to conceive.
Conclusion- if you believe that you or someone you know is dealing with a variety of infertility issues, then you can consult our doctors from one of the best IVF hospitals in India.