Major Indications of Spine Surgery
“My back pain is killing me” is one of the most commonly heard phrases among adults as they’re often the victims of chronic back pain. If you also suffer from crippling back pain that just won’t go away, you’re not alone as back pain is one of the most common problems experienced by adults. best doctors in Pune suggest that there are various reasons why you might be experiencing back pain and they are:
- Lack of exercise
- Underlying diseases
- Structural abnormalities
- Improper lifting
- Psychological conditions
There are various ways to deal with chronic backache like heat and ice treatment along with anti-inflammatory medications. But if the pain persists after undergoing several treatments and you’ve tried all the available options, then spine surgery is the only resort left. The procedure is offered at the best orthopaedic & joint replacement hospital in Pune.
Spine surgery will not only relieve your back pain but various other problems like pain in the legs, arms or around the ribcage as three types of muscles support the spine. These are back muscles and gluteal muscles also known as extensors, abdominal muscles and iliopsoas muscles called flexors and side muscles called oblique or rotators. The surgery will also help you move around better, make you physically fit, improve flexibility and alleviate your dependence on medicine which.
As mentioned earlier, spine surgery may be performed to treat a wide range of issues. Here are some of the major indication that may call for the need for spine surgery:
- Slipped, bulging or ruptured disc that can be due to age-related wear and tear or by indulging in certain strenuous activities. It is quite possible that you need a spinal surgery if your disc can not be slid back into place with stretching and light exercise.
- Having painful bone spurs is another reason why you might need spinal surgery. Bone spurs are nothing but extra bone growths in the spine. These are the consequence of ageing. However, there might be a need to remove bone spurs if they compress or clamp down on spinal nerves.
- A dramatically curved spine will also need to be surgically treated. There are two conditions caused by this and they are - scoliosis and kyphosis.
- If you’re getting shorter it could be because your spine is become weaker with age or owing to diseases like osteoporosis that can make spine collapse on itself. This is why patients that suffer from this disease lose height. So if you feel that you have started losing height and other options for relieving pain do not work then you should consider spinal surgery.
- The spinal canal is a hollow space that protects the spinal cord. Excessive pressure on the spinal cord can lead to impaired movement or balance, loss of sensation in parts of the body, bladder or bowel function impairment, thereby calling for the need for spinal surgery.
- If you feel numbness or extreme pain that stems from the lower back and radiates down the back of the leg, you may be in need of spine surgery.
- Severe back pain that does not let you indulge in day to day activities is another sign that you might need spinal surgery.
- If your back pain is also affecting your mood, ability to stand, sleep and ability to work along with weakness in legs then also you should consider spinal surgery.
If the above-mentioned problems are affecting you then you should definitely consider going to the best spine surgery hospital in Pune and get yourself evaluated. This will help you ascertain whether you actually need a spinal surgery or not.