Do you know that our spine can bend back far enough to produce a third of a circle? And it can hold almost 100 kgs of weight? Our spine is strong and flexible enough at the same time. But if you can’t treat it well, like other body parts, it can also get damaged. Any kind of spinal issue needs to get immediate attention and should be treated properly by your spine surgeon. Thus we should take proper care of our spine. In this article, we are going to learn how to keep your spine healthy, treatment options available for spine pain, when to go for spine surgery if you need any, and many more. Let's discuss it with our panel of specialists from one of the best spine surgery hospitals in India.
How do you know whether you need spine surgery or not?
If you have had severe back pain issues for a long time and even after getting primary care, it has not been resolved. Then your physician might suggest you go for a spine check-up with a spine surgeon. He will evaluate you for the first few weeks and will recommend the following.
- To maintain a good posture
- Practice physical activity
- Medications to reduce the pain and inflammation
- Other over-the-counter pain management procedures
If all these fail to relieve the pain and discomfort you are suffering, your spine specialist may consider surgery as an option.
However, if you feel unbearable neurologic pain or lack of sensation, any symptoms related to nerve compressions like weakness in the arm or leg, spine surgery should be considered as a spine pain treatment in Mumbai, as recommended by our specialist from one of the best spine surgery hospital in Mumbai.
What are the options available for spine surgery?
There are multiple options available for your spine based on the kind of spine deformity you have. Most commonly performed procedures are including-
- Anterior cervical discectomy- in this procedure, the degenerated disc is removed to relieve the pressure on the compressed nerve root. This reduces the pain.
- Microdiscectomy- it is used to treat nerve pain like sciatica. This happens due to impingement of the herniated disc over the nerve root lying in the spinal canal.
- Disc replacement- in this procedure the worn-out disc is replaced with an artificial metal or plastic disc.
- Spinal fusion- in a fractured spine, two or more vertebrae are connected and fused permanently. After fusion, it eliminates any natural mobility between them.
- Laminectomy- here the lamina(back arch of your spine) is removed. Here the spinal canal is widened and the spinal nerve root is getting decompressed.
- Kyphoplasty- This is performed to treat the compression fractures of the spine. Spinal compression fractures are most commonly seen in spines weakened by osteoporosis.
- Lateral lumbar interbody fusion surgery- the result of this procedure will be similar to spinal fusion surgery. Here, your surgeon will opt for a lateral approach for reaching the vertebra and intervertebral disc. The advantage of this procedure over others is to get access to the lumbar vertebrae without disturbing the back muscle layers and nerve fibers.
These days all of the above-mentioned procedures are treated in a minimally invasive way. This conservative surgical approach is widely accepted among patients and surgeons as well. Instead of going for traditional open spine surgery, the minimally invasive one will help in faster healing and early recovery. This will ensure a shorter hospital stay, hence a lesser chance of developing an infection after the surgery.
Recently(2021), in India we have got evidence in support of minimally invasive spine surgery i.e it had worked like wonder for slip disc management for a 55-year-old patient with only a small scar at his back.
What kind of spine deformities are treated with spine surgery?
Any kind of spinal issues like
- complex brain and spine cancers
- deformities related to spinal curvature like scoliosis
- degenerative disc diseases
- Congenital (inborn) spinal deformity
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Disorders related to nerve compression
When should you consult your spine surgeon?
If you are suffering from long-term back pain especially while working work from home or due to wrong sitting posture, try to adapt the non-invasive techniques mentioned in this blog. And even after that, you are not getting results, consult with your spine surgeon.
Conclusion- If you or any of your nearer ones are suffering from the same, you can contact our doctors from the best spine surgery hospital to get yourself evaluated.