When was the last time you went to see a Neurologist? Many people won't be able to answer this question because the only time we consult a specialist like a Neurologist is when we experience extreme symptoms. We often tend to ignore the mild symptoms without realising that these would actually be an indication of something very serious. Many neurological problems do not present with a major symptom initially and these tend to develop gradually, as time passes by. Neurological problems can affect people of any age group and can even prove to be debilitating. Catching the symptoms and seeing a Neurologist at the earliest can help in the timely detection and effective management of a problem that could later turn out to be life-threatening.
Today we are going to discuss some such neurological symptoms which you should never overlook, as listed by the experts from the best neurology Hospital in Thane, however before starting let us first try to understand the most important question
Who is a Neurologist?
A Neurologist is a doctor who holds specialisation in preventing, diagnosing, assessing, treating and managing various diseases and ailments that affect the nervous system. This comprises the brain, the spinal cord and the nerves.
Symptoms that suggest you need to see a neurologist
Here is a list of some classic symptoms that have been associated with a variety of neurological problems:
- Neuropathic pain - Often describe as a shooting or burning sensation, neuropathic pain is triggered by an injury or disease that targets the nervous system, especially nerves. While it can be acute in some cases, it is mostly chronic and calls for the need for proper management due to its progressive nature. Based on the underlying factor that has triggered the pain, neuropathic pain can be broadly classified into four different types -
- Neuropathic pain caused by diseases such as multiple sclerosis and multiple myeloma
- Neuropathic pain caused by a muscular, tissue or joint injury
- Neuropathic pain caused by infections like shingles and syphilis
- Neuropathic pain caused by Limb amputation.
- Frequent headaches - Having a headache once in a while is normal but if your headache is giving you trouble on a regular basis, it is high time to see a neurologist. This could be a sign of a migraine, a type of headache that is categorized by throbbing or pulsating pain which may last for a couple of hours or even days. Some people suffering from it may also feel nauseated and develop a sensitivity to light, certain smells and sounds. But this is not it. Frequent headaches have also been linked to more serious neurological problems and even tumours, which are solid masses of abnormal cells and tissues.
- Seizures - If you are anyone you know has been experiencing a seizure, it is definitely a cause for concern. Seizures are an indication of electrical disturbance in your brain. Although there can be several different underline factors responsible for triggering these, less than 1 out of 10 people are likely to have it due to epilepsy. Experts from the best neurology hospital in Mumbai suggest that while some patients, having seizures, may not even notice it, others me even experience uncontrollable shaking of limbs and unconsciousness, making it very obvious. Timely treatment and care can help to lower the frequency and intensity of the seizures.
- Forgetfulness - Have you been straining your brain a little more to remember things lately? If your answer is yes, you should book an appointment with a Neurologist at the earliest. Forgetting things is normal but when it happens every now and then, it's time to be a little more concerned as this could be linked with a serious problem like Alzheimer's. The problem usually begins with experience in difficulty in remembering small things and gradually the patient might even forget who they are. The memory of the person progressively deteriorates and there is no permanent cure for it. As per the top neurologists in Pune, early detection and treatment can help to somewhat slow down the progress of the disease. So, if you are forgetting things don't forget to see a doctor.
Experience in any of these symptoms does not necessarily mean that you have a serious neurological condition and it can only be determined after proper evaluation and assessment. If you wish to get yourself evaluated for any of these, consult the expert from the best neurology Hospital in Thane today.