From early childhood, we are told that air is important for our existence and as we grow old, we realize why. It is one of the many things that we share as a part of this planet and that is why we are equally responsible for how the quality of air is degrading day by day. Top pulmonologists in Thane suggest that air pollution has become a grave concern for people all across the globe, in the past few decades. While people equate industrialisation with advancement and progress, the reality is that we are only going back. With so many contaminants, allergens and VOCs, millions of lives are affected every year and these predominantly include small children and elderly people.
The numbers speak:
You will be surprised to know that 21 Indian cities were named on the list of the 30 most polluted cities in the world in the year 2019. It isn't hard to guess how serious the problem is here. If we speak of mortality related to air pollution, nearly 2 million Indians die premature death every year going to it.
What is even more disturbing is that many people don't even care about pollution if it isn't affecting them directly. Air pollution has been associated with a wide spectrum of diseases and disorders, some as dangerous as cancer. As per the World Health Organisation, nearly 9 out of 10 people are exposed to polluted air which is responsible for taking 7 million live across the globe every year.
Facing the reality:
It doesn't really matter what area you belong to or which you are living in, air pollution can affect anyone and everyone. Pollution is literally everywhere and despite all your efforts it is not possible to completely escape it. However, the question here is not to escape air pollution but the limit your exposure to it. As important as it is to lower pollution by indulging in environmentally friendly practices, it is equally important to protect your lungs, and this you need to do at any cost.
Give your lungs a new chance:
Think that there is nothing you can do for protecting your lungs. Fortunately, you are mistaken. There are several things that you can do alleviate the impact of pollution and help your lungs breathe better. We have listed some of these with the help of an expert from the best pulmonology hospital in Pune.
- Make it a habit to check the air pollution forecast just like you check the weather forecast. This is especially helpful for people living in cities that are most polluted such as Delhi, Kolkata, Ghaziabad, Faridabad and Mumbai. Keeping track of the air pollution forecast will help you to know when the pollution levels are high and you can take necessary precautions.
- Avoid going out for exercise or walks when the pollution levels in your area are high. You can rather stay indoors and try yoga or aerobics for a change.
- Avoid spending too much time in areas that have high traffic because the vehicles release gasses that can drastically impact your lungs.
- If possible, wear a mask while going out. Although it may not offer complete protection, it will be helpful to some extent.
- You can get an air purifier for your home, especially if you have a patient with existing lung problems such as asthma.
- You need to focus on eating a healthy and nutritious diet for strengthening your lungs and negating the risk of infection, we should further make your lungs vulnerable to pollution.
If you wish to know more about long pollution and how it can affect you, consult the experts from the best hospital in Pune today.