Do you feel worried whenever you hear that a doctor has suggested heart transplant surgery for someone you know? And want to explore the details about what this really means? Then you are on the right page. In this article, you are about to find out some facts like understanding the heart transplant, the steps involved in it, hospitals for a heart transplant in India, and many more.
Understanding the heart transplant-
A heart transplant is a surgery, performed by the cardiologist(heart specialist) where the weakened or diseased heart of the patient is replaced by a healthy heart from a deceased donor. A successful heart transplant can put a ray of hope in a patient’s life, as this can improve the overall lifespan and quality of the patient’s life as well.
Why do you need a heart transplant?
If you are suffering from long-standing heart disease like
coronary heart disease
congenital heart disease
chronic blood pressure
repeated heart attack or myocardial infarction that might eventually lead to heart failure. And if it is not treated by the medication or other non-invasive ways, you can opt for heart transplant surgery.
These diseases can affect the overall performance or functioning of the heart i.e heart will not be able to pump the blood efficiently all throughout your body.
Who can undergo a Heart transplant?
There are some criteria that can help you to understand whether you can consider heart transplant surgery as your treatment option or not. Before undergoing the procedure your surgeon will evaluate the following factors to decide the eligibility of the patient for the same.
- If you are suffering from other long-standing health issues like uncontrolled diabetes, hyperthyroidism, chronic blood pressure, then you should not consider heart transplant as an immediate treatment, as this can delay the recovery period after the surgery.
- If you or someone in your family line has a history of cancer
- If your doctor believes that you may have a difficult time recuperating from a heart transplant
- And if your doctor finds out that you are not going to follow the post-surgery instructions to keep your heart healthy.
Then your doctor might not recommend you to go through the procedure.
Steps involved in the heart transplant procedure
Heart transplant surgery is a complex medical procedure that requires a couple of hours in the operation theater. There are multiple steps needed to be followed before and after the surgery. This ensures the completion of surgery without any hassle.
- At first, your surgeon will evaluate all your test results and then will proceed with the surgery.
- You will be taken into OT by the medical personnel. They will give you general anesthesia through IV medication so that you can ‘sleep’ during the surgery and won’t feel any pain.
During the surgery, you will be connected to a heart-lung machine that will artificially pump your blood throughout your body.
- An incision will be made by the surgeon, allowing them to operate on your heart. The diseased heart will be replaced by a healthy donor heart and will be sewed back in place. All the blood vessels(arteries and veins) will be reattached to the healthy one. If your doctors feel any trouble reviving the healthy heart, they might apply electric shock to it.
- After the procedure, you will be transferred to the ICU. For a few days after the surgery, you may require ventilation for easy breathing.
- Your medical personnel will keep an eye on your vitals like heart rate, respiratory rate, and the overall performance of the heart.
- Then you will be transferred to the recovery room of the hospital. Your surgeon will assess the progress of your overall health condition and based on that, he/she will discharge you.
Recovery after heart transplant
You have to take proper medications prescribed by your doctor. Try to lead a healthy lifestyle to keep your heart healthy and active as well. Watch your diet and make sure you are having a quality meal every time you take food. Still, if you have any doubts, you can consult the best heart surgeon in Pune at the Jupiter multispeciality hospital.
Life after heart transplant
You have to visit your doctors for follow-up once you get discharged from the hospital. Do not skip these follow-up visits. For the first few months, these frequent visits are necessary as your doctors will monitor the efficiency and the functional ability of the transplanted heart. During this time, your doctors will run some tests to ensure that the replaced heart is accepted by your body and that no further complications arise.
Conclusion- if you are having any cardiac issues or if you want to know whether your heart is healthy enough or not, you can come and visit us at Jupiter multispeciality hospital, Mumbai. And get yourself checked by the top surgeons in one of the best hospitals in Mumbai.