Past few months have been quite overwhelming and stressful for all of us. The lockdown imposed due to COVID-19 pandemic has restricted us all to the walls of our home. However, the virus is not the only problem that needs our attention. Staying inside your home is surely going to help negate the risks of COVID-19 contraction but it has some negative impacts as well. Stagnant lifestyle and stress can have a drastic impact on your health and especially your heart, thereby, making it vulnerable to many diseases and ailments. It is extremely important to take care of your heart in such ascenario and especially when we know that the situation is not coming under control anytime soon. Best doctors in Pune suggest that it is rather easy to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you are at home since you can get more time to work on yourself.
Here are a few tips suggested by the experts from the best hospital in Thane, that will help you to keep your heart fit and healthy during the lockdown:
- Avoid all kinds of stress – Thinking about the present scenario and all the things that are happening around us can be really stressful. No doubt the time is difficult but the only way we can come out of it is by staying strong and positive. When you start stressing, it triggers a number of chain reactions which eventually lead to breathlessness and palpitations. Some people also tend to experience a rise in their blood pressure when they are stressing. This can damage the arteries and prevent the heart from functioning well. Here are some things that can help you deal with the stress:
- Take out some “me time” every day and spend it doing things that make you happy
- Read books or watch your favourite series
- Catch up with your relatives and friends online
- Improve your sleep cycle
- Stay optimistic
- Indulge in activities that uplift your spirit
- Take care of your diet – Whatever we eat has a direct impact on our heart health. It is important to eat foods that are good for your heart and which help it to function well. It is, however, important to understand that no food product can make you healthy in just one day. This requires determination and dedication since you won’t be able to enjoy your favourite pizzas and burgers. Here are a few things that you should definitely follow:
- Cut down on your trans fats as these can elevate the cholesterol levels, thereby, increasing the risks of serious heart problems. These are found in baked confectionery and fried foods.
- Replace saturated fats with healthy fats as these are extremely good for your heart. You can try avocado, olive oil, dark chocolates and nuts.
- Eat foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids. These include fatty fish such as salmon, trout& herring, flaxseed, kale, spinach and walnuts.
- Cut down on your sugar and salt intake.
- Try healthy experimenting with food and use heart healthy cooking methods like baking, roasting and steaming.
- Eat at regular intervals but limit your portions.
- Stay active – Staying at home does not mean that you have to sit at one place all day long. There is a plethora of exercises that you can try at home to stay fit. You can try mat exercises and yoga. Exercising does not necessarily mean that you have to step out of your home. You can find a nice, well-ventilated spot in your home and exercise there regularly.