What is Eisenmenger Syndrome in Children
Eisenmenger syndrome is an advanced form of heart problem that develops over time in the arteries. It occurs as a result of other congenital (before birth) defects in the heart (usually left heart-to-right heart shunts), where the arteries that carry blood from the heart to the lungs narrow. This results in high blood pressure of blood flow against the walls of the arteries, causing lung damage. It would help if you visited a pediatric cardiology hospital in Pune to treat your child as early as possible. Because, if the heart defects are not repaired or repaired later in life, it increases the risk for this medical condition.
Cause of Eisenmenger syndrome in a child
Eisenmenger syndrome develops over time as a result of high blood pressure in the lungs and heart defects that are present at birth (congenital). The best heart hospital in Pune can treat your child and offer the best medical care.
Symptoms of Eisenmenger syndrome in a child
The following are the symptoms of Eisenmenger syndrome:
- Blue or greyish skin because of less oxygen in the blood (cyanosis)
- Shortness of breath with activity
- Shortness of breath at rest
- Feeling tired
- Chest pain or chest tightness
- Skipping or racing heartbeats
- Dizziness or fainting (syncope)
- Numbness or tingling of fingers and toes, or both
- Blurred vision
- Changes in the fingers and toes (clubbing)
- Enlarged liver
Diagnosing Eisenmenger syndrome
The best doctor in Thane will ask about your child’s symptoms and physically examine the child. Your child will be asked to undergo some tests:
- Pulse oximetry: Test to check the amount of oxygen in the blood.
- Blood tests: Tests conducted by the doctor to check for high or low red blood cell counts.
- Chest X-ray: Chest x-rays of the heart and lungs.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): The doctor will record the electrical activity of the heart to observe any abnormal rhythms and detects heart muscle stress.
- Echocardiogram (echo): To make a moving picture of the heart and heart valves, echo is performed by using sound waves.
- Pulmonary (lung) function testing: The doctor may check lung function to see how is your child lungs working.
- Cardiac cath (catheterization): The pediatric cardiology hospital in Pune have cardiac cath lab where the doctor will place a small flexible tube (catheter) into a blood vessel to measure the blood pressure and oxygen and observe information about the structures inside the heart.
- Cardiovascular MRI (CMRI): These tests are used to make detailed images of the heart and blood vessels for checking the amount and direction of blood shunting.
- CT scan and CT angiography: These tests are performed to check for blood clots in the lung arteries and lung.
- Stress test: The doctor may perform an ECG while the child is exercising.
Treatment of Eisenmenger syndrome in a child
The best hospital in Pune Treatment will decide the treatment based on your child’s symptoms, age, and general health. The procedure also depends on how severe the condition is. By lowering the pressure in the pulmonary artery, the treatment aims to bring more oxygen to the lung tissues and ease the cyanosis.
Most Medical treatment helps in managing symptoms. Treatments include:
- Medicine: The best doctor in Thane will give your child medicines that dilate blood vessels and lower blood pressure in the lungs.
- Oxygen: Oxygen will be given to your child continuously while he/she is sleeping or resting.
- Phlebotomy: If your child has a high red blood cell count and thickened blood, the doctor may remove some blood.
- Advanced therapies: The doctor may prescribe other available medicines, which dilates or relax the arteries in the lungs.
- Lung transplant or heart-lung transplant:These may be considered for your child in some severe cases.